Thursday, July 20, 2006

Harbin

What's left of the former synagogue here is now now the home to a fast food pizza restaurant and a chinese holistic medicine center. The exteriors are impressive, but there seems to be nothing left of the jewish community that once lived here in the first half of the century. If I spoke Chinese, it might be possible to find out a bit more, but Harbin is not Beijing and there's a lot less English going on.

Yesterday ended with a teary farewell between Jen and I as we finally found the proper platform at the Beijing station, after nearly an hour of frantic running around. Saying goodbye wasn't easy, Jen's been my constant companion for over a month now and it's odd not having her easy company around.

As it was, I made it to the train a moment before it cast off. I dashed on board in the wrong compartment and had to wait 10 minutes panting for the train to get fully underway before they opened the doors to my car. Eventually, I found my berth and settled in to what might be the poshest train in China. The "Z15-16: National Youth Model Train" was a big step up from the creaky (but comfortable) train we took down from Ulaanbaatar. It looked like it was on its maiden trip, the interior was modern, electronic and spotless. I stayed in a 4 berth "soft-sleeper" cabin, which I shared with a chinese man and his two travelling teenagers.

Stepping out to use to toilet, a display indicated that we were cruising at 149kph, about 90mph. Not too bad.

My only complaint was that our cabin didn't seem to cool down much through the night, the air conditioner switch may have been broken. Other than that, the service probably spoiled me for the rest of the trip.

I'm leaving Harbin tomorrow night, there's really not much for me here. I'll come back and do China "right" one day, but without Jen to help arrange things here, my head's just not in it.

I booked my train to Suifenhe tomorrow night with the help of "Chris"- a 21 year old Harbin native who's studying English business at the local university. He approached me while I was investigating the synagogue cum pizza shack and offered to take me around. After Haiti and Bangkok, I'm getting really leery of the "local wants to practice English and show good hospitality scheme", but he told me he didn't want any money and he was trying to set up a guide service for the summer. He offered to help me book my train ticket and I accepted. True to his word, we got the ticket sorted in no-time, in time for it to start pouring. We waited out the storm at the nearby beer garden, had a drink and chatted about jazz, The Doors, The Velvet Underground and ideas to promote his business. At the moment, he's sitting next to me at the internet cafe, playing an anime knock off of Mario Kart. The dude seems trustworthy, so if you're in Harbin and looking for a guide or translator, give Yang Gui Xu (Chris) a call at: 13845053457.

I'm about the get kicked off, so let me go. I'll have more time tomorrow to do stuff. Maybe I'll even finish my Bangkok photos. Jeeeze, that was like 6 weeks ago.

1 Comments:

Blogger rammstein said...

hello scottley
i guess u've forgotten me already!
i am from haerbin(ice city)
Do u remember about 2 years ago, we met each other in haerbin (the capital city of heilongjiang province) we talked about the doors velvetground? u treated me a glass of beer and we also dropped on line???
how are you doing recently?
i am in beijing
where are you?
your dairy reminds me so much happiness and sadness about my campus-life.
i just wanna cry and i miss you
u gave me your card when u leave and i tryin' to send u email but it failed cause' you've never write me back i though u are a liar but now i knew i am wrong u have kept your words(introduce me in your personal travel diary even my cell phone number) thank u so so much!
but i've found a job in beijing and my new cell phone number is 13466338997 how i wish how i wish you were here(lyric of pink floyd) if u are in beijing or u plan to travel in beijing i'd like to help u again for free cause you are so special i mean to compare with other foreigners
my english is poor but i think i can made myself understood by u!
my email adress is yangguixu@hotmail.com
if we are friend please hit me back!

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home