Sunday, July 30, 2006

Derailed

I'm sick of the train. I've put in my time, it's all very interesting, but it kills me to see the world rolling by while I go stir crazy and have to have the same monosyllabic conversation with yet another drunk russian miner.

So I'm here in Severobaikalsk, on the banks of the world's deepest lake. I've met a travel agent who can fix me up with a 4 day tour via hiking and sea kayak, a bit pricey but it sounds good. It comes with a guide who follows me in a motor boat and cooks for me and everything. In fact, this guide is sitting right here with me now as I type it. He seems like a good dude, he just brought me doughnuts and a coke.

I have to decide in the morning if I really want to go on this trip. The thing is, being alone with no one to speak with (my guide has really no english), out for four days in the wild sounds depressing right now. My understanding agent agreed that I can call things off in the morning and get my money back, he's being very understanding.

In the meantime, I'm moving this afternoon to a private home that I'll have all to myself in the nearby town of Nizhneangarsk, a small settlement on the north tip of the lake. Tonight a local woman will set up the banya (sauna) for me and cook me dinner. Hopefully some private relaxation tonight will point my way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home