Monday, June 12, 2006

Mongolia at last. Now I sleep.

Very overwhelmed and spun out by travel snafus. Flight from Beijing to Ulaan Baatar was supposed to leave yesterday morning at 9am. I would get in at noon. Instead, flight was delayed until midnight last night. Air China was nice enough to put us in a hotel to clean up and relax and have free meals. Spent the time with a very interesting group of international travellers, all headed to UB for reasons as various as architechtural heritage preservation to Christian missionary work to the USA National College men's wrestling team. Interesting but not very restful. Finally got in last night around 2am. Hostel is cramped but clean and very friendly. Slept about 4 hours before the hubub woke me up. Seems like everyone is trying to team up into groups of 5 ot 6 to hire a Jeep and a guide to take a 10-20 day trip throughout the country. I've been propositioned to join a group headed out tomorrow. I'm so tired I can't think straight, and I'm not sure if this is the way I want to travel. I see many up and downsides and still need to consider other options. If I don't go with this team, there's people coming and going every day that I could recruit later.

I'm going to try to make it to about 9pm tonight, then it's ambien and hopefully the sleep I need to get back to usefulness. It's been 48 hours since I've had a proper rest. I'm optimistic, but this isn't the way I wanted to arrive. Blah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home