Friday, March 10, 2006

One more lap

The race today was quite a trip. Wind at 25 knots with gusts up to 35. Got a ride with Sandpiper and her Skipper/Owner Collin. We raced out to Hayman Island, about 11 miles, around the west side of Armot island and then back to Airlie Beach in a big triangle. It took 5.5 hours for us to complete the course, quite a long race. Collin said it was the strongest winds he's ever raced in, he was working the mainsheet and helm pretty hard. The weather varied from bright sunshine and fast planing to complete whiteout downpour in 4 foot rolling swells.

I spent most of my time as rail meat, helping to balance the boat as she leaned over. My duties also included spotting wind gusts coming at us and notifying the helmsman, I earned the nickname "Gus" from yelling "Gust!" so often. Downwind, my right arm got to be a mini-spinnaker pole as we goosewinged out the jib. That was quite comfortable, ahem.

When it was time to tack, I was down in the pit relasing the leeward winch and helping Jason tail the opposite winch as he took in the jib on the other side. I love winches. Wenches aren't too bad either, unfortunately we didn't have any of them aboard. We do need some extra weight for tomorrow's race, though, so I've promised Collin that I'll try to recruit some from the backpackers around town.

So yeah, there's another race tomorrow and Collin was more than happy to have me back on again. Can't quit now, so I'm staying one more night.

Can't type much more, I have to go fall on my face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home