Thursday, March 09, 2006

Ending not so Airlie

I think I'm leaving here on Sunday, first thing in the morning. Of course, I've been amending a plan to leave here since I arrived. . .

Last night, while sitting around the hostel, playing the nightly quiz, I found myself partnered with Matthew from Nantes. Mon ami et moi actuallament avons une victoire. Le prix et a half price offer from the folks at Ocean Rafting, a 1 day speedboat tour of the Whitsundays. This was perfect, since I had today to kill and hadn't actually managed to get out to see the reason for most other people coming here.

So Matthew and I booked for today and we left this morning. Being the low season, the boat only had about 10 out of a possible 25 passengers, so we had plenty of room and attention. These little boats have 450HP of outboard behind them and we were quickly and smoothly planing along at 25 knots. We stopped first at Nara Inlet on Hook Island for a short walk up to some simple Aboriginal cave paintings, followed by an hour of snorkling at Dumbell Island. The snorkling was great, it was the first time I've actually done it, I've always just scuba dived. Saw another giant turtle and I had great fun poking at the giant clams. Without the noise of the scuba gear, I could actually hear the many varieties of parrotfish biting chunks out of the coral.

After snorkling, we headed to the famed Whitehaven Beach for lunch. Whitehaven is one of the hallmarks of Whitsunday Island, a mile of perfectly white sand with the consistency of fine powder. It looks lovely in the brochures, but of course the brochures don't show the enormous tourboats that are also parked there disgorging a horde of tourists. The beach was lovely, but as I suspected, not the secluded paradise they might lead you to believe. Private boats can visit the northern shore of the beach which was empty-- part of the problem seems to be that all the commercial operators park down near the south side where the toilet facilities are.

After lunch, we swam around, played frisbee in the water and then packed up to head back. The island scenery on the south side of the Whitsunday group was a lot more rugged and interesting that the northern section. I would love to come back on my own some time and explore them. The sea back there was very choppy and our skipper entertained us by launching the boat off of the swells. By 4:30pm, we were back. I'm glad that I got to see the Islands this way. No muss, no fuss, no crazy drunk parties, just get out there, get a flavor and get back with a minimum of touristy schlock. One day, when I can skipper my own sailboat, maybe I'll come back and indulge.

Tomorrow, Lockie has promised to get me on as crew for the all day race around the northern Whitsundays. I have to call him tonight to see what he's cooked up. The forcast is calling for 20-30 knot winds over the day, so it should be pretty exciting. I hope Lochie comes through, I would love to get out for one full day sail before I leave Airlie.

Assuming I don't get any other offers to sail for next week, I'll head out on Sunday for Carnarvon Gorge NP. Karl has given me some good ideas for an overnight hike and the kit I need to do it. It seems that I have to stop in at Mackay to buy a hutchie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home