Thursday, November 10, 2005

Moab max-out

Still here in Moab, drinking coffee at the Mondo. Sorry for the lack of updates lately, I've been spending my energy on the layout roll-out that you're seeing this morning.

Quick update:

Tuesday morning, I took a hike up the Mill creek canyon. Worked my way up for a few hours and found some time to relax and do some writing that had been evading me for a while. Maybe I'll publish some of it soon when I get it cleaned up. Later, I took a drive down to Castle Valley, a beautiful high area underneath the La Sal mountains and Castleton Tower's mesa. There's 5 acre subdivisions out there that are going fast. Uslennar, remember that land you were looking to buy. . .

Yesterday, I returned to Castle Valley with a hired climbing guide and we went up the classic Kor-Ingalls route (5.9) on Castleton Tower. The climbing was fun-- I've never really tackled off-widths before and I learned a lot. Matt, my guide was verry mellow, but a cool dude overall. I didn't really have much trouble in any of the many manky sections of the climb, but a few moves sure scared me. Karl did the same thing last year (North Chimney) when he came through; I can only imagine the adventure the two of us would have had if we tried to attempt it on our own. That said, I would probably be willing to lead it now that I've climbed it once.

Not sure about today yet, chatting online with Karl at the moment. Prolly go back to the Creek for the afternoon and then leave Moab tonight or tomorrow morning. They're calling for rain and snow. Maybe I should wait on this side of the Rockies until it's done.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the layout, Mr. Scottley. Some of the photos crop the top too much, though. Missing a head, that sort of thing.

So why do you climb? I gather you're in a community of climbers with a drive to experience as many different challenging routes as you can. Is it because it's so different from what you were doing before (in silicon valley)? Is it the technical expertise you develop and can demonstrate whereby you can look at a rock, visualize a route, then climb it? Is it the solitude, the right-now-realness of skin and rock, the unforgiving need to focus? For me, my short climbing era ended years ago in my teens after a belay incident. My keen ability to focus was bested only by my ability to be distracted by a couple of girls in the group. I was out of position when the guy in the chimney lost his footing. he outweighed me by 50 pounds. Ouch for both of us. So, with other avenues to explore this part of yourself, like skiing, cave diving, kayaking, etc., why climbing? Or maybe you do those, too?

6:02 PM  
Blogger Scottley said...

Layout should work better for you IE folks. Damn, Microsoft really needs to get their act together. I was right in my CSS, Bill Gates was wrong. He does have the money though.

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds wonderful. I can just picture you on the side of a cliff climbing. Im enjoying reading your blogs. Much love

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home