Saturday, July 30, 2005

Joygasm typhoon swimming on distant rooftops

I am alive again.

I just returned to my room, everything is working well now. After a tasty Thai lunch, I went to work out. The gym here is on the 41st floor, and exquisite. The facility is shared with the spa, and is decorated with rich wood and dark slate with delicately scented candles for lighting-- perfect Feng Shui in action. After a 45 minute workout, I was finally feeling human again. After a sit in the very hot sauna and a quick shower, I decided to check out the pool. I forgot to pack a bathing suit, but I figured I could get away with my shorts.

I forgot to mention that this is typhoon season and Hong Kong is currently socked in, after a week without rain. The pool deck at the Langham is on the roof, open to the sky. When I climbed the stairs to the pool deck, there were a few other guests milling around the door, talking about the rain. When I looked out, a bubbly laugh started in my belly and by the time I was at the side of the pool, I was smiling and giggling uncontrollably. It was overwhelming; to be outside, in a downpour, splashing in around 557' above the world, the rest of Kowloon's skyscrapers poking through the fog. Looking up, you see the dizzying view of the Langham Place Office Tower looming a further 280' above your head.

I also forgot to mention that, because I checked in early, and no rooms at my level were available, I was upgraded to a suite on the 39th floor. The standard rooms are nice enough, but I should be so lucky to ever again stay in a 5-star hotel's suite. Back from my swim, still smiling, I returned to the room, tossed my wet shorts in the combo washer/dryer, retrieved a teapot from the full kitchen, topped it off from the countertop water heater and sat down with my laptop, brewing green tea in the living room, with Miles Davis on the stereo and looking out over Hong Kong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home